Video and Transcript of Senate Debate on Murkowski Resolution to Veto EPA's Science-Based Climate Change Findings
We provide the full video and transcript from the Senate Debate over S.J.Res.26 (Murkowski Resolution), a resolution that would have effectively vetoed a finding by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that greenhouse gases pose a threat to public health and welfare.
Full transcripts from the Congressional Record, 10 June 2010:
Below is the video of the full debate from C-SPAN. Senator Harry Reid (Democrat, Nevada) introduces the bill at 0:04:48 in the video; Senator Barbara Boxer (Democrat, California) concludes her final remarks at 6:48:45.
How you can help: The Senate is set to debate and vote on a climate & energy bill in the final weeks of July or early August (2010). Call your Senators and ask them to vote YES on a climate & energy bill that limits fossil fuel pollution.
Online WWF Resources Regarding U.S. Climate & Energy Policy:
- U.S. Federal Policy section, WWF blog
- Act For Our Future
- What does the Spill have to do with a Climate Bill?
Bill Summary and Status. From the Libarary of Congress, Thomas.
The Consequences and Significance of the Murkowski Disapproval Resolution. Fact sheet (13 May 2010) from the Democratic Policy Committee.
Statement by the President on Senator Murkowski's Resolution of Disapproval, S.J. Res. 26. From the White House, Office of the Press Secretary (10 June 2010).
Senator Boxer Applauds Senate Vote For Science, Health, Jobs and National Security. Press release (10 June 2010) from the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works.
Protect the Clean Air Act [PDF]. A letter signed by 1,906 U.S. Scientists, June 2010. Posted by the Union of Concerned Scientists.
More information on the EPA's final endangerment finding is available from EPA's Web site, including:
- Technical Support Document
- Response to Comment Documents
- Press Release
- Press Kit
- Legal Basis (PDF) (1 p., 117 KB, About PDF)
- Health Effects (PDF) (1 p., 95 KB, About PDF)
- Environmental and Welfare Effects (PDF) (1 p., 45 KB, About PDF)
- Climate Change Facts (PDF) (1 p., 39 KB, About PDF)
- Light Duty Vehicle Program (PDF) (1 p., 39 KB, About PDF)
- Timeline (PDF) (1 p., 30 KB, About PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) (3 pp., 38 KB, About PDF)
WWF Climate Change Blog:
- Senate Resolution to Strip EPA of Power to Regulate Climate Change Pollution is Defeated. 06/10/2010
- NASA Reports Highest Spring Temperatures on Record as U.S. Senate Debates Climate Change. 06/10/2010
- NY Times Editorial: "Where’s the Senate on This One?" 06/10/2010
- White House Says Resolution Before the Senate Would Impede Transition to Clean Energy Economy and put Americans at Risk. 06/09/2010
- Clean Air Act Under Attack (8 June 2010)
- Alaska's Senator Murkowski Fiddles as Alaska Burns (25 May 2010)
- Former EPA Administrator Russell E. Train Urges Senate to Reject Efforts to Weaken Clean Air Act (25 May 2010)
- NY Times: Congressional Efforts to Undermine EPA Authority to Regulate Greenhouse Gas Pollutants are "Worse than Inaction" (13 March 2010)
- While Major Floods and a Rapidly Changing Climate Threaten North Dakota, Its Congressman Opposes Curbs on Emissions (25 Feb 2010)
- Virginia Researchers and Planners Warn of Climate Change Impacts on Coastal Areas, As Attorney General Challenges the Science (23 Feb 2010)
- As Weather Extremes Hammer Arkansas Farms, Senator Lincoln Endorses Veto of Finding that Climate Change Threatens Farmers (27 Jan 2010)
- EPA sets timetable for regulating climate pollution (23 Feb 2010)
- U.S. EPA: Greenhouse Gases "Threaten the Public Health and Welfare of the American People" (7 Dec 2010)